Gambling and You
LOROS Lotteries Limited is a society lottery licensed by the Gambling Commission under the Gambling Act 2005. All proceeds from LOROS Lotteries Limited goes directly towards funding the services provided by LOROS, the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Hospice (Registered Charity 506120), which provides free, high-quality, compassionate care and support to terminally ill adult patients, their family and carers.
Terms and Conditions
Our terms and conditions cover our weekly lottery, bi-annual raffles and scratch card games that we operate throughout the year. They include the prize amounts for weekly lottery, bi-annual raffles and scratch card game. You must agree to the terms and conditions for the relevant game. LOROS Lotteries Limited reserves the right to amend or modify these terms and conditions without notice. Players may obtain a written copy by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the LOROS Lottery Manager at the Lottery Office address or by viewing this document
We have a team of Lottery Fundraisers working for LOROS to promote our weekly LOROS Lottery and volunteers helping sell our scratch cards and raffle tickets. All Lottery Fundraisers and volunteers will have visible photo ID and be in LOROS uniform. We also have Collectors who support our existing cash players who carry a photo ID whilst collecting. Should you have any concerns or would like to check their identity, please call our Lottery team on (0116) 231 8430.
LOROS Lotteries Limited promotes responsible gambling and under the Gambling Act 2005, we have a duty to ensure gambling is fair and open, free of crime and protect children and vulnerable persons from harm or exploitation from gambling. Responsible gambling means staying in control of how much time and money we spend on gambling. Responsible gambling means not spending more money or time than we can reasonably afford on gambling activities, keeping in mind all our other responsibilities in life.
It is an offence for anyone under the age of 16 to participate in any form of gambling, including lotteries, raffles and scratch cards. LOROS Lotteries Limited has made the decision that, as part of their overall strategy, to change the minimum age of any new participants to 18 and over from August 2019. LOROS Lotteries Limited may on occasion carry out checks to comply with this requirement. If any player is subsequently found to be under the age of 18 years, any monies already paid will be returned and all rights to a prize forfeited.
Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder
When an individual joins the lottery we will check that:
- The individual is aged 18 or over
- The individual is resident in Great Britain
- We also retain the right to cancel any participation should we suspect criminal activity
- We limit the maximum number of entries per product, please see our terms and conditions
Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
- Players have access to clear information on matters such as the rules of the lottery, the prizes that are available and the chances of winning
- The rules are fair
- Any advertising and promotional material is clear and not misleading
- The results are made public
Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling
We will use our best endeavours to address the following issues:
- Under age gambling. It is illegal for individuals under the age of 16 to enter into a lottery. If any player is subsequently found to be under the age of 18 years, any monies already paid will be returned and all rights to a prize forfeited. (do you want to add here that we have increased our player age to 18)
- Gambling limits. The Society may impose limits on the value of entries into a lottery that can be purchased by an individual
- Self exclusion. On request, we will cancel any player’s lottery numbers for a minimum period of six months during which time the lottery numbers cannot be reinstated. During this period we will also try to ensure that the individual does not purchase any other gambling related products directly available by LOROS Lotteries Limited
- Access to player history. We will provide any player with a full history of their lottery numbers, including complete payment and winnings history upon request
- Provide information on gambling support organisations. We will provide contact details or links on any lottery websites or via other appropriate media to GamCare and other relevant/appropriate organisations
- Self help and awareness information. We will provide self help and awareness information on any lottery websites or other appropriate media together with links to or contact details of GamCare and other relevant/appropriate organisations
- Staff training. All relevant staff receive awareness training on problem gambling issues
Gambling Commission rules do not permit payment by credit card for lottery, raffle and scratch card purchases.
LOROS Lotteries Limited is a member of The Hospice Lotteries Association and The Lotteries Council, both of whom on behalf of their members make a financial contribution towards BeGambleAware, administered and funded by independant charity. GambleAware, is the leading charity in the UK, committed to minimising gambling-related harm. The Hospice Lotteries Association website also has a page dedicated to responsible gambling and provides further details about BeGambleAware and GamCare.
Support with gambling
Here at LOROS, we support responsible gambling and want to provide help to anyone who think they may have a problem with gambling. If you want any more information or support, call the National Gambling Helpline Freephone 0808 8020 133 and speak to one of their trained counsellors or visit BeGambleAware.org. You might find also find this leaflet about recognising a gambling problem useful.
Gambling self-exclusion form
If you are experiencing problems with gambling and would like to request that LOROS excludes you from its prize-led fundraising activities, including lotteries, raffles and scratch cards, you can complete our online exclusion form.
Cancelling your lottery number(s)
You can cancel your lottery number(s) at any time. They will be omitted from the weekly draw when the last round £1 has been played. Thereafter any remaining odd pence amounting to less than £1 will be treated as a donation to LOROS.
To cancel, notify the Lottery Office by completing our online cancellation form, call us on (0116) 231 8430 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If payment is made by direct debit or standing order you will also need to inform your bank.
Comments and complaints
LOROS Lotteries Limited welcomes comments and suggestions about how it can improve. Contact the Lottery Office in the first instance by phone, (0116) 231 8430, email email@example.com or write to the Lottery Manager at: LOROS Lotteries Limited LOROS Groby Road Leicester LE3 9QE
In the event of a gambling complaint or dispute remaining unresolved it will be referred to arbitration via the Independent Betting Adjudication Service (IBAS).
Full complaints process is available by viewing this document.
Our licence details
We’re fully licenced with the Gambling Commission which you can find out more about here. Our Operating Licence Number is 000-034543-N-315802-013. We are also a member of the Hospice Lotteries Association and The Lotteries Council.
Proceeds from LOROS Lotteries Limited to LOROS
All proceeds from LOROS Lotteries Limited go directly towards funding the services provided by LOROS, the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Hospice (Registered Charity 506120), which provides free, high-quality, compassionate care and support to terminally ill adult patients, their family and carers.
On average we give LOROS around £750,000 each year. In 2019/2020, you can feel good knowing that 52% of every £1 goes directly towards providing patient care. The remaining 48% goes towards direct running costs, including the prizes. Each year we give out over £180,000 in prizes across our weekly lottery, bi-annual raffles and scratch cards. We consistently review our costs and expenditure to keep these as low as possible.
Chances of winning, in 2019/2020 there were on average 23,756 lottery players per week and 55 cash prizes per week available to win. For our scratch cards there is a 1 in 4.54 chance of winning a prize. In our latest raffle (June 2020) 69,875 tickets were entered in the draw with the option of 7 cash prizes and our last winter draw (December 2019) 65,597 tickets were entered in the draw with the option of 3 cash prizes.
Since launching in 1996 we have given over £14,000,000 to LOROS directly from supporters playing our lottery, raffles and scratch card games.